Junior Drum and Bugle Corps
The Vagabonds were founded in Haddon Heights, New Jersey, by Mr Robert Powell and Mr. John R.(Dick)Richard Zinn. Originally a parade corps, the corps entered competitions in 1956. The corps won the South Jersey Association Championship in its first year of competition. The first instuctors of the corps were brothers Don Adair on horns, and Bob Adair on drums, both now members of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame. The corps entered the VFW Nationals after only two years of competition, and placed tenth. The corps competed in the South Jersey Association until 1960, winning the championship in 1957,1958, and 1959. The corps then moved to the Penn Jersey Association. In 1961 the corps finished 18th at the VFW Nationals in Miami. The corps moved to Pennsauken about 1962. Those years through 1964 were the best years for the Vagabonds. During that time they defeated every corps in New Jersey except the Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights. In 1965, the corps moved to Stratford NJ and merged with the Stratford Invaders. The corps also merged with the Little Devils during that era. The corps last competed in 1969.
This website is created as a remembrance of those 14 years. It is dedicated to the directors, instructors, and mostly to all those kids from South Jersey who had the time of their lives and look back to those days with fond memories.
Please Sign Our Guestbook
Note: For best viewing, use Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Mozilla Firefox is not a good browser for this site, as it has a tendency to throw off the site's alignment.